HPV FAQ Header Image

 

 

 




















 

 





Question:

How can I tell who I got the HPV virus from?




 



There is indeed a test for men. that''s how I found out i have it.


4/19/2008


!


I have been with the same person for 3 years. I keep up with my GYN appointments and ALL tests just to have my files up to date. However, last weeks Pap test gave me bad results. My Dr. called today to tell me to come back that they show HPV. Now...if I have been with the same person for three years and all of a sudden have a virus - isn''t it clear that they cheated and passed it to me??? Please confirm that for me because he is saying that he had it from years back before meeting me.


6/5/2006


!


I have only been sexually active with one person in my life. This person has been my long term boyfirend for about 10 years. I thought he was cheating. I never really had proof. So not that I went into get an annual pap, and I was told that My pap was abnormal and that I had a high risk HPV. I don''t think it was me that gave myself HPV. So now I have to break the news to him. We are still dating.


1/29/2004


!


I am 16 years old and I recently, like about a couple months ago,was diagnosed with HPV and I have only had one partner in my whole life. I broke the news to him, and he supposedly went and got tested. He reported back to me and told me that he is clean. I am so confused! I have tried and tried multiple times to figure any other possible ways, but I have not been with any other person. so I guess like the many of you that have answered this question, it is very hard to tell who may have infected you.


4/22/2005


!


Because there''s no set incubation time, it is very difficult to tell who you got HPV from. Personally, I don't know who I got it from. If you've had two partners in the past that seem questionable, you'll probably never be able to know. But, some ways of narrowing it down are:
- you can not get HPV from someone who was a virgin when you had sex (providing he/she has not had previous sexual contact of an intense nature, such as rubbing genitals with someone else)
- if someone you were sleeping with had a lot of partners (or even a few), this is a good indication
- if you had a long-time partner for years, and then you had a short-term one, and a few months later got HPV, then it is likely you got it from the short-term one, although that's not a sure indication.
- HPV takes at least a couple of months to show up. Someone you just slept with last week didn't give it to you.

By:
Rebekah


2/22/2002


!


how can you know who gave you the virus?


1/11/2007


!


If you''ve had sex with more than one partner - all you can make is a good guess! There isn't really any way of knowing where you came up with this. The combination of lots of people having it and also lots of people showing few or no symptoms makes a hard search for an easy finger point.

By:
whosme


4/10/2002


!


I will say this... I am 20 years of age and found out I got the HPV virus in May of 2005. It is now April of 2006. I only had sex with one girl and we were always together unprotected. I started with her in February of 05 and broke up in May. So 3 months after having sex for the first time I began breaking out with warts. I showed my ex the warts, told her to get checked out. It is going on a year later, and to this day her tests come up negative for HPV. WTF!! I had sex with one girl. ONE GIRL. And that one girls'' tests say she doesn't have what I have.

Now I've also found out that my father had genital warts years ago. I use the same shower as him, don't I? I share the same bar of soap as him. I'm curious if I got it HPV from my father. Unlikely but something I'm gonna ask the doc. If anyone is aware of this possibility please let me know.


4/7/2006


!


How Long does it take to find out you have HPV after having a pap test?


8/21/2006


!


IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE BORN WITH THIS??


4/5/2006


!


can genital warts show up 5 to 10 years after the first diagnosis


6/15/2007


!


So, you''re saying that I cannot get genital warts from the first partner I had and she never had sex before, and I know this for sure? Cause I have some things around the shaft of my penis that look strangely like warts. They are right where the foreskin was cut, if that makes any difference......


12/8/2003


!


Not to sound critical, but has anyone heard of having sex with one partner, and that partner being you husband or wife. Some of you sound like animals, having sex with whomever turns you on that night. No wonder SOME of you are having his problem. My question is, do you say to the person you are going to have sex with, "Excuse me, may I look into you vagina and see if you have warts?" Oh that would turn me on!

By:
gini121582


7/13/2006


!


I found out last week while my boyfriend was out of the states. I had to tell him on the phone. He''s not the one I got it from though. I'm more afraid if he got it than anything else. My results came up abnormal. I've went three months without knowing I even had it. I'm only 15 years old with an STD. It's hard knowing that you got it at such a young age but you do have to tell the people you love instead of keeping it a secret.


6/28/2004


!


After I was told I had genital warts I contacted the last person I had sex with. We had used a condom. I told him that he should check in with a doctor just in case because I had been told by the doctor that I had genital warts. I told him that I suspected he had it too. He was my 2nd sex partner and my first sex partner and I never had any symptoms of HPV during the 3 years we were together. He adamently denied that there was any possibility that he had given it to me. I tried to be very sensitive to not make it seem as though I was blaming him. Anyway so this guy tells me a week later that he went to the doctor and the doctor said he didn''t have it. I explained to him that he could have the virus but not have symptoms. Sorry this is so long so I guess to sum this up it is VERY hard to pinpoint who you got the HPV from. So instead you can just contact your past partners and reccomend that they check themselves out just in case.


1/25/2004


!


To tell you the truth I don''t know who I got it from. I dont know if I got it from my babyfather or my first, because out of all my sexully partners they are the only two that I didn't use a condom with, so im very confuse, plus my first he had a number a sex partners so I really think I got it from him and I know some of his old sex partners and come to find out they have it to and they said they got it from him now i really do think I got it from him.


4/22/2006


!


I was performing oral sex when I realized that I had almost certainly contracted genital wartsit was a really terrible feeling. When I asked him about it, he replied that "I was slutty anyways, so I must not be worried about what I caught." However, if I hadn''t seen them, I wouldn't have known.


5/13/2005


!


I was having sex with more than one guy but it was my loser ex boyfriend that gave it to me there is no question in my mind. He told me he was clean to get me to get me to have it unpected with him. The doctors said that he probally didn''t know. I didn't tell him I have it yet. He still calls up my house wanting sex but I just get off with him. I hate him for giving me HPV.


4/12/2004


!


there is no such thing for a guy to get tested for hpv unless they have symptoms


1/31/2006


!


at a party I did have sex with a guy. but a few weeks later i was Genital Wartsd, then shortly after found that i have hpv. but i had heard that the lad who i did want sex with had them, from a friend. but i am upset to think that he never thought of telling me. now im not sure weather to ask him incase he laugh at me and tells someone else, which he isnt like that, it just gets me worried. although it could be from the other guy who was a friend but for obvious reasons are not now. and i dont want to start talking to him incase he thinks he can get me in bed again. so how do you think i should go about this problem?


11/23/2005


!


To the 16 year old girl whose boyfriend got tested and was negative. I too have recently been diagnosed with high risk hpv and have been undergoing treatments and screenings for cervical cancer. At 23 years old it isn''t the most fun thing. My boyfriend (who i've been with for 2+ years now) and I got tested before we started have sex. Both of us were negative for everything. 8 months and no symptoms and NO other partners later both of us were being treated for chlamidia and my self high risk HPV. So i did some investigating and found out that MALES do NOT test positive unless they have symptoms which is very rare. the only way to get an accurate test on a non symptomaic male is to do a Genital Warts test. The super painful swab tells you nothing.


5/25/2006


!


Because you can contract genital warts but not have symptoms for weeks, months or even years, it is nearly impossible to figure out where it came from.

Whats even harder is, sure, you can be tested for HPV just like any other STD. But, the problem is, it is VERY hard to test for. So, even if the results say "negative" it may not necessarily be true. It is ESPECIALLY hard to gain accurate test results in men.

By:
dasanigirl


10/24/2005


!


Well... there is no real way to really find out, but if you have only had sex with only one partner then all you can do is kind of assume.


3/10/2004


!


Someone else wrote:
> Cause I have some things around the shaft of
> my penis that look strangely like warts. They
> are right where the foreskin was cut, if that
> makes any difference...

That probably does make a difference. It isn''t for sure, but those are probably skin tags or skin bridges. They are common side effects of circumcision.


7/11/2005


!


The virus obviously shows up at different times for anyone who is infected but you can usually figure out who it might''ve been if you've only been with a few people and with one, say you didn't use protection. I knew I got it from a specific boyfriend because he was the only person I didn't use a condom with (ONE time, the rest we did use them). The small wart I had also showed up right at the opening to my vagina, so obviously it was put there by a penis entering me. No other penis besides his was uncovered, so therefore I assume it was him who gave me the virus.

By:
Redsonia


8/19/2005


!


i am 16 years old and I just found out i have HPV and well.. i am kinda scared! i have had many partners and i have no clue from which one! you can never tell unless u back trace and have guts and confront people! who knows u could make a difference and help someone out! good luck and God bless!


3/24/2005


!


Some encouraging news....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/06/22/ca
ncer.virus/index.html

By:
Kenya


9/20/2005


!


if you have had sex with 1 partner, they have had sex with 2 those 2 have had sex with 5 those 5 with 10 those 10 with 30 those 30 with ... soooo on, you may never know who, where, when. Just take extra precautions. Ive been with the same girl for 2 1/2 years I never cheated on her , lived a healthly life style, But i did smoke cigs. she has had pap test never showing rish and all of a sudden I had a break out of about 15 warts or more, Im doing the ACV remedy and its working well, with every other day doing vit. E gel oil directly too them, quite a few turned black and flaked off within a few weeks, the larger ones are now smaller, But it was weird how they all popped up out of know where.. Maybe she cheated on me? She will always deny that though. Just take care of yourselfs.


1/24/2008


!


ok,i have been sexually active since I was 16 and ive had sex with 5 ppl now,and my bf now has had sex only once...i gota check up and my doc told me that i had a sign of HPV,soim just tryn to figure out if i have it or if i need 2 or more abnormal paps 2 have it?? im j/w if i have it or not??


10/12/2007


!


Why do you need to know? it wont help knowing, and it wont change the circumstances of the person who gave it to you... they may not even know they have the virus as they may not have any overt symptoms.
Calm down, get the warts removed, get on with your life!
Simple!


4/4/2006


!


this response in quotes was from 2006

"

I have been with the same person for 3 years. I keep up with my GYN appointments and ALL tests just to have my files up to date. However, last weeks Pap test gave me bad results. My Dr. called today to tell me to come back that they show HPV. Now...if I have been with the same person for three years and all of a sudden have a virus - isn''t it clear that they cheated and passed it to me??? Please confirm that for me because he is saying that he had it from years back before meeting me."

No that does NOT mean he cheated on you. He could have had it from a few years back and it was dormant. This virus basically sleeps and you would never know.



4/21/2007


!


"I am 16 years old and I recently, like about a couple months ago,was diagnosed with HPV and I have only had one partner in my whole life. I broke the news to him, and he supposedly went and got tested. He reported back to me and told me that he is clean. I am so confused! I have tried and tried multiple times to figure any other possible ways, but I have not been with any other person. so I guess like the many of you that have answered this question, it is very hard to tell who may have infected you."


to whoever wrote this he lied to you because there''s no test for men.


12/12/2007


!


THERE IS NO APPROVED WAY TO TEST A MALE FOR HPV. NONE. A MALE CAN BE TESTED FOR OTHER STDS, BUT NOT THIS SPECIFIC VIRUS. SO DO NOT PUT BLAME ON THE MALE BECAUSE MORE THAN LIKELY HE DOESNT KNOW HE HAS IT! HPV IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER STDS. I DOUBT SOMEONE WOULD KNOWINGLY TRANSMIT HPV TO SOMEONE ELSE. ITS MORE LIKELY THAT THE PERSON DOESNT KNOW THEY HAVE IT.


2/14/2007


!


There is no way of knowing exactly who you got this virus from. HPV can show no symptoms for many years. It can even not be detected by a regular Pap. Just because you''ve been with the same person for years and contracted HPV DOES NOT PROVE CHEATING! A person can have HPV for a long time. It's possible your partner could've had it way before being sexual with you. This is why it's hard to tell when and from whom you've contracted HPV from. I've recently been diagnosed with HPV and have done all I can to educate myself about this virus. There is no need to put the blame on anyone. I could've gotten it 3 years ago when I lost my virginity. Most people with HPV never have any symptoms. You just never know. The most you and your partner can do is provide support for one another.


2/14/2007


!


Condoms DO NOT protect you fully from HPV.


9/21/2006


!


You cannot know. The incubation period for HPV can be decades long. But the question is irrelavent. If you have them go get them treated and forget about who gave who what. You''ll drive yourself crazy trying to figure that one out...and you'll never really know the answer.

By:
Nuclear321


7/12/2007


!


this virus has no incubation period....it may take up to weeks, months, even years to find out who you got the virus from

only way possible to know who you got it from is if you slept with minium of partners unprotected....

i slept with one person unprotected because I was "in love" and at the time saw what looked like a wart on his penis but i wasnt very educated on this std that i didnt know what it was...now i live in agony because of him and my stupidty

By:
justine


11/6/2005


!


It is possible for someone who has never had any sort of sexual contact with another to contract HPV. There are many strands of HPV and they don''t always manifest themselves as warts/at all. Because it doesn't always manifest itself, many people have HPV without knowing it. When getting a pap test, my doctor, who studies genital warts, informed me that in her research she has found that in some instances, a man would come back from the war having contracted the virus and pass it on to his wife, who passed it on to her children when giving birth, who then passed it on to their children, and it only ever manifested itself as warts in those children. So having HPV need not mean that your partner cheated, but it is possible for a faithful partner to pass on the disease, without even knowing s/he has it. And, theoretically at least, it seems possible to transmit the virus simply through kissing, as it can and does occur in the mouth, and as with other warts, it's possible for one to have HPV without warts manifesting themselves. So one can never really know how, when and where one obtained them, since it's possible for one to have HPV from birth but no outward manifestations until much, much later. And having sex with just one partner won't necessarily prevent the transmission of the virus, so please ignore jerks who want to insinuate that one became infected or deserved to become infected because they had lots of sex with lots of different people. Be safe, take care of yourself, but understand that sometimes people are lucky enough to have sex with 50 people and never be infected while others can be infected despite only having had just one, or even none, sexual encounters.

Further, to be safe (in the context of heterosexual sex), one needs more than just a condom. Transmission of the HPV virus occurs through skin to skin contact. Naked spooning can result in virus transmission, as can making out in one's undergarments. When having penetrative sex while using a condom, vast areas are generally left uncovered (thighs, the areas around the penis and vaginal entrance), and the virus can be spread through that contact.

Having HPV or any other STI sucks, but it alone doesn't determine whether you or the sex you had/have are dirty or clean, promiscuous or not, responsible or not. Inform any current and future partners, be as safe as you can and take care of you.


7/15/2007


!
 

Information:

Site Map

Copyright 2001-2011 ©

Your privacy is important to us. You should know that third parties may be placing and reading cookies on your browser, or using web beacons to collect information, in the course of ads being served. Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and other sites on the Internet. Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy.